Healthcare News: CMS issues global surgery fact sheet
CMS released in February a fact sheet,“Global Surgery,” which contains information regarding the components of a global surgery package, including guidance about billing and payment rules for surgeries, endoscopies, and global surgical packages that are split between two or more physicians.
The fact sheet addresses the following frequently asked questions:
- What is the definition of a global surgical package?
- Is the global surgery payment restricted to hospital inpatient settings?
- How is global surgery classified?
- Where can I find the post-operative periods for covered surgical procedures?
- What services are included in the global surgery payment?
- What services are not included in the global surgery payment?
- How are minor procedures and endoscopies handled?
The fact sheet also provides global surgery coding and billing guidelines for physicians who furnish the entire global package as well as physicians who furnish only a part of a global surgical package.